Main menu

Pages

Heineken South Africa celebrates women in beer brewing #WomenInBeer

Heineken South Africa is proud of the company’s diversity and inclusion policy. We are particularly proud of the number of talented women in the beer industry who have left their mark on some of South Africa’s favorite brands. Meet the women who represent Heineken South Africa.

Heineken South Africa Honors Women With Brewing #WomenInBeer - Part 1

Thandeka Zukuma I am a packaging engineer. Thandeka explains what this means. “I am responsible for quality assurance and control of the packaging process and support. It is from raw materials, in-line processes and complete product quality. I am currently seeking approval for a new supplier of bottles and cans. They are dispatched, basically making sure the bottles meet our standards, work inline without causing downtime, and are safe when transported to consumers.”

She says she loves the responsibility of implementing and managing the quality and effectiveness of food safety systems. Also, she enjoys the role’s agility and speed. The daily wins and losses keep me going. I am fortunate to work for a company that continually strives to improve the engagement and growth of women in general. I work with leaders who not only encourage women to be their best, but also understand the challenges they face. ”

It’s clear that brewing has always been in Thandeka’s blood. In fact, a woman who has had a particularly positive impact on your life would be her gammy, MaMthethwa. “She was a fierce, strong, brave woman of faith, love and hope. No matter what hardships we faced, she was always awake and present, she was home to everyone she met and changed the lives of many. Believe me, I was the first person in my family to play for the national team and graduate with honors.”

The highlight of Tandeka’s career was installing the first keg-filling line at her brewery. “I was responsible for setting up the quality assurance framework. “When the first keg came out of the filling machine, I wanted to sing Shakira’s ‘Waka Waka’ out loud,” she added with a laugh.

Her favorite beers are: It’s all about Esther dancing there. That banana pinch brings out the flow of English.

Makkosi Boysen is the leader of Heineken South Africa’s quality lab and is passionate about breaking down silos in the brewing industry. Because she feels that collaboration is a very powerful tool in executing any strategy. McGosi says. “You can see a great example of this in the daily tasting sessions I have with qualified tasters on site. We are always talking about what we can do to improve, learning from each other and of course having fun.”

A highlight of her career was her brewing qualification through extensive training. “At the time, it was very rare for a woman to qualify in this field, which was overwhelmingly male in the industry. In our community, when we have a function, it is women who brew traditional beer. showed me that it is science and that we must evaluate it.

“In my personal life, my mother has been a huge influence because she taught me not to let the world change me. She taught me to always be authentic when chasing my dreams. In the beer industry, I was inspired by Apiwe Nxusani, a well-known name in the craft beer space, who talks about being fearless in pursuing what sets your soul on fire. Her main mission is to transform the craft beer space to represent more black women in the industry, and she is very passionate about doing this. has been successful.

McGosi believes things have changed in recent decades when it comes to women’s exposure to the beer industry. “I often hear women love the taste of beer, but beer has always been seen as a masculine drink, or they are skeptical about pursuing a career in beer, so they don’t drink beer publicly. But the beer-making process involves the entire supply chain and a range of functions that anyone, male or female, can contribute to. It allows people like us to be known and can also encourage others to consider this route.”

She really likes SOL. The reason is that it has a light, crisp, refreshing taste and a beautiful golden color. The slogan “Chasing the Sun” also matches my personality.

Comments