
Grant Calcaterra ran the first two-and-a-half days off training camp, catching everything, getting into the end zone, and looking around the world like a polished NFL tight end as a rookie six.th-Round pick.
On July 30th, during just the third practice of the summer, Calcaterra pulled up.
Hamstring.
He did not resume practice until August 19th.
Calcaterra missed a total of 20 days of work, including 10 full practices, 4 walkthroughs and 2 games.
That’s most of the training camp, and it’s an irreplaceable time for newcomers.
“This was new to me,” he said. “I’ve never hurt a hamstring before.”
With Calcatera on the sidelines for three weeks and Noah Togiai enjoying a solid camp, the Eagles ended the season by IRing Calcatera before the final cut, with Togiai as the third tight end behind Dallas Gordart and Jack Stoll. There were some very real questions about whether to keep . .
After that, Calcatera returned for the second day of joint practice with the Browns.
“At first I felt like I was doing well in camp. Injuries are part of the game,” he said. “This week I was able to get fit, practiced and competed. After all, it’s all you could ask for.”
After missing a game between the Jets and the Browns, Calcatera made his NFL debut Saturday night during the Eagles’ preseason finale against the Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium.
in 2nd-and-10 On the final play of the first quarter, Calcaterra went wide open with a shallow cross, stretched into the air, and caught Reed Sinnett’s short pass, which he threw too high, to turn the corner towards the right sideline ( 2015 Eagles 2.nd-Round pick Eric Rowe.
This was the Eagles’ only passing play of the game for at least 20 yards.
Nick Siriani said, “He had a good week in practice this week and it was nice to see him back on the field.” He caught it well in that shallow water and then showed some acceleration, which was nice to see.”
Calcaterra finished its first NFL game with two catches for 30 yards. He’s not bad for a guy with only three practices on a three-week layoff.
“I think I’m learning every day,” he said. “Taking a mental rep[during his layoff]watching movies, watching other tight ends play, and taking advantage of my playing time this week, I think I’ve done a good job.”
We knew Calcatera could catch the football, but in Oklahoma, and then at SMU, he was never really asked to do many blocks.
And while no one expects Calcaterra to be a Goedert-style blocker, to play in the NFL, he has to at least be able to push along the line of scrimmage and get in someone’s way.
“Yeah, with some of the ‘F’ (receiving) tight ends that have been more threatened in college, that’s an adjustment they have to make,” Siriani said. They have to be able to go there and do it, we limit what we ask them to do, but that’s what we’re always working on to get along with him.
Calcaterra had 32 snaps in Miami on Saturday night, plus 17 with special teams.
It was a completely new experience for him.
“It was definitely challenging,” he told reporters after the game. “But I feel like I’m getting better with each rep. Coach[Jason]Michael helped me a lot because I got to see guys like Dallas block. , was very helpful, and the people in the room talked to me and helped me, which was great.
“I feel like I have a high football IQ and adapt well.
The final cut has to be done by 4pm on Tuesday, but now it looks like a healthy and productive Calcatera has made the team.
Considering how much time he missed, this is impressive.
“My coaches said they knew what I could do in the passing game,” he said. “They obviously wanted to see what I could do in the running game. So tonight. did a little bit of everything
!function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s)
{if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function(){n.callMethod?
n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments)};
if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0';
n.queue=[];t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0;
t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0];
s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, document,'script',
'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js');
function getCookie(cname) { let name = cname + "="; let decodedCookie = decodeURIComponent(document.cookie); let ca = decodedCookie.split(';'); for (let i = 0; i < ca.length; i++) { let c = ca[i]; while (c.charAt(0) == ' ') { c = c.substring(1); } if (c.indexOf(name) == 0) { return c.substring(name.length, c.length); } } return ""; } if (getCookie('usprivacy') === '1YYN') { fbq('dataProcessingOptions', ['LDU'], 0, 0); } fbq('init', '674090812743125'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
Comments
Post a Comment