Main menu

Pages

Meghan Markle returns to UK with her business as a regular uniform – WWD

London – Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, is back on British soil with her husband, Prince Harry.

The couple traveled by train from London Euston to Manchester to attend the One Young World Summit. Meghan gave her keynote address in front of an audience of 2,300 people.

The event attracts young voices from over 190 countries, with representatives from companies such as Audi, Dior and Swarovski.

Markle talked about gender equality. In 2019, she met with youth ambassadors at Windsor Castle to discuss the topic.

This is the exiled pair’s first public appearance since celebrating Queen Elizabeth II’s anniversary weekend last June.

On the way to the event, the Duchess wore a light camel silk cashmere polo shirt from American label Brandon Maxwell, paired with wide-leg pants in a similar shade and suede Manolo Blahnik heels.

Since Maxwell launched the brand in 2015, it has been worn by powerful women who frequently speak out about social injustice, including Michelle Obama, Queen Rania of Jordan and Oprah Winfrey.

Maxwell was the first male designer to be worn by Markle after her wedding to the Duke of Sussex during a trip to the Your Commonwealth Youth Challenge reception in London in 2018.

Markle’s arrival is important in the UK as the government just named Liz Truss, the new prime minister, who has just beaten Conservative rival Rishi Sunak by 57.4% of the vote in the election process that started in early July. was done at the right time.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have not been afraid to speak out against politics in the past, but at home they are likely to follow royal protocol not to express preferences on the subject.

Meghan Markle opened her speech by saying she was “so happy to be back in the UK” (Photo by Peter Byrne/PA Images via Getty Images)

PA image via Getty Images

At the evening’s event in Manchester, England, Markle went full Italian in a Valentino, a red blouse and matching wide-leg trousers. She finished the look with Aquazzura heels.

The monochrome ensemble may be a light tribute to Harry’s mother, Princess Diana, who died 25 years ago last week. was wearing a dress.

“I’m so happy to be back in the UK,” Markle began her speech, recalling when she was asked to become the organization’s ambassador in 2014, referring to her acting days.

“And I was the ‘suit’ girl. I was surrounded by world leaders, humanitarians, prime ministers, and activists who I deeply respected and admired over the years. And I was seated at the table. I was allowed to,” she said.

“I was so overwhelmed by this experience that I probably saved a little paper place marker with my name on it.”

The Duke and Duchess will continue their European tour, visiting Düsseldorf, Germany for the Invictus Games on Tuesday and returning to London for the Welchild Awards ceremony on Thursday.

Comments