Main menu

Pages

Resilient Foris Excited for US Open Main-Shot Debut | Aug 29, 2022 | All News | News & Features | News & Events

After overcoming injury setbacks and posting a career-best result of the season, Australia’s Jamie Forlis earned a wildcard to the main draw at the 2022 US Open.

August 29, 2022, New York, USA | Lee Rogers

As Jaimee Fourlis geared up for his US Open main-season debut, the 22-year-old Australian admitted he was thrilled to find a first-round opponent.

The wildcard entry secretly hoped to draw in 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams.

“It would have been great to play on the big center court and it would have been really fun,” said Foris. tennis.com.au.

“That said, it doesn’t matter who you play against. You’re out there to win.”

Foris will instead face Chinese qualifier Yuan Yue. Yuan Yue is also making his main draw debut in New York at his 23-year-old, ranked 142nd in the world.

It’s a big chance for both players. Ewan is aiming for his first Grand Slam main-season victory, while Foris is targeting his second. It will be his first since reaching the second round as a teenage wildcard at the 2017 Australian Open.

Foris, ranked 173rd in the world, is thrilled to be back at Flushing Meadows. She has made it to the final round of qualifying competitions twice in the past.

“I love coming back,” said the Melbourne-based athlete.

“I think the courts here suit me very well.

> Read: Ajra Tomljanovic in a happy place at US Open

Foris’ confidence is also high from the best season of his career. The Australian Open 2022 mixed doubles finalist won three of her ITF singles titles and set a record of 42-19. After starting her year ranked No. 329, she achieved a career-high No. 147 in July.

“The goal I set was to be top 150 by the end of the year. We’ve achieved that in six months, so the next goal is top 100,” said Foris.

Foris, who endured several frustrating seasons after undergoing reconstructive shoulder surgery in 2020, was welcome back to form.

Resilience is one of the biggest lessons to be learned from challenges like this, and thanks to a strong support network.

“I have a lot of people who help me get to where I am,” said Foris. “I think it’s really important to mention. It’s not just me. I know I’m going to be in the spotlight on the court, but there are also a lot of people who have helped me behind the scenes.”

> READ: Kokkinakis Expects “Fireworks” in Kyrgios Showdown

With a determination to return to the Grand Slam stage, she’s naturally looking forward to getting through the toughest times, inspiring Fourlis and making her dreams come true in New York.

“You always have a goal and whatever you do you try to reach that goal. So you always find a way. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past few years,” said Foris. .

“I had a lot of things thrown at me, so just being here and playing in the main draw at the US Open is such an amazing experience.”

BOOK ONLINE AND PLAY NOW: Visit play.tennis.com.au to get on the court and have some fun!

Comments