Main menu

Pages

The Oxford 250 attracts all luck.Then it's time to get to work

OXFORD — Dropping the line last in the water is usually not ideal for fishermen. But for TJ Watson, sixth-generation Candice his harbor fisherman, Sunday’s Oxford 250 cash win was a good thing.

Watson, of course, had swapped his fishing waders for a firefighter’s suit over the weekend, and the prize he was fishing for was a good starting position in qualifying.

TJ Watson greets the crowd during the introduction of the Oxford 250 on Sunday at Oxford Plains Speedway. Pictures of Brewster Burns

Watson was the third-to-last driver to enter, so he was the third-to-last driver to blindly pull a poker chip out of his bag. By the time it was Watson’s turn, his three remaining chips were Chip No. 1 (his position on pole in Heat No. 1), No. 2 (outside pole in Heat 1), and No. 57. (his 14th starting spot out of 15). in Heat No. 5).

“I knew I was going to get the pole tip,” said Watson. “Since I put this whole race team together, I’ve spent the last four months fleshing it out in my head. drew the outer pole second.

“When I had a few chips left and the pole was (not gone) I was pretty sure I was going to pull it out of the bag. So it just happened. I don’t know. It must be.”

Watson finished second in his heat to secure a sixth-place starting spot in the main event. He estimated it would be his seventh attempt to qualify for the race, and his fourth, but his first since 2011. He started 7th that year and finished 34th. He qualified first in 2007, starting 11th and finishing 44th. The following year he qualified 13th and finished 20th.

This time I was 26th.

Nick Sweet, the driver who picked the last tip, likened the process to playing a game of chance at Oxford Casino, just down the road from Oxford Plains Speedway. However, Sweet had no choice and no chance. He watched his 56 drivers draw chips, with Watson drawing his number one chip and Barry Paulin drawing his number two chip.

I was able to control my luck today. I went in last, so you got the last tip in the bag,” said Sweet. “So you’re right. It’s just the luck of the lottery.”

late entry

Some drivers, like 2017 winner Curtis Gerry and 2020 champion Johnny Clarke, jump at the chance to enter their name in the 250 as soon as possible. The Vermont native, who races in the Pro All-Star Series and the American-Canadian Tour, instead waited a few days leading up to the 250 weekend.

“I don’t know if we’re racing. We went back and forth,” Sweet said. “We decided to go early last week, and here we are.”

Watson said he mailed in his entries a few weeks ago, but “all our mail in Kandy’s Harbor was messed up and never got here, so it wasn’t even on the roster. did.”

Benton native Pauline brought out her second car of the season and qualified for the 250 for the first time on Sunday. I think it was something.

“Hmm,[2nd]was good, but I went deep into the heat so quickly. I think 57 was easier,” said Pauline. “The car was the worst all day. I’m happy.”

Barry Paulin remained relaxed before his comforting fever. Pictures of Brewster Burns

Sweet also started quite far back in his qualifying heat, which prevented him from completing his qualifying heat, leaving the top four to advance to the 250.

“We weren’t as good as we wanted to be. , said Sweet after the heat race and before the Consolation qualifying race. “It’s hard to pull the bottom out because everyone is guarding the bottom. But we’re just going to keep fighting and try to work on this issue.”

Neither Sweet nor Pullin failed to advance from the Consolation Race or Last Chance Qualifier.

for a good break

Watson’s Sunday luck contrasted with the 2022 season to 250.

“The car has gone through 3 motors since the start of the season and that has been trouble for us. We took this motor off the dyno (diagnostic machine) and put it on the car and it was leaking oil. said Watson. “So all the testing that we did and everything was out the window. That’s why I’m driving around on the ice, that heat race was literally on sticker tires and I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen to the car.”

Kandy’s Harbour’s TJ Watson speaks with Nate Brown over his race trailer after qualifying for the Oxford 250 on Sunday at Oxford Plains Speedway. Brewster Burns

After sliding off the bottom of the track into the third ditch during practice, Watson decided his game plan would be to stick to the bottom in his heat.

“Curtis Gerry was starting behind me and I knew he was quick, and I told him he had to go around me,” said Watson. “I was going to yard sell the field before I gave up on that bottom.”

Watson admitted there was a lot of pressure to qualify for the 250. All the time, effort and money are spent on this. He said his equipment this year was the best yet and he managed to raise enough money. Thirty-three tires were procured, mostly through raffles on tuna fishing trips. 20 of which he bought for the 250 weekend.

That’s part of the reason Watson said his hands were shaking after drawing the number one chip.

“A lot has happened and it has to go your way. We are overjoyed,” he said.


To reset your password, please use the form below. After you email your account, you will receive an email with a reset code.

” Previous

Next ”

Comments