upper dublin >> Abington and Upper Dublin both entered the Suburban One League Liberty Division match Wednesday undefeated in the league.
The Ghosts and Cardinals were tied 0-0 after two 80-minute regulation and 10-minute overtime games at Spark Field.
“It was a reality check,” Abington senior captain Luke O’Donnell said. “We know he needs to be one of those games in the near future against league teams.
‘I’ve played Abington before and haven’t lost since my freshman year,’ said Nick Fiore, Upper Dublin’s senior captain. “I’m glad I didn’t lose because I have a lot of friends, but I really wanted to win. I’m pretty disappointed about that.
Abington are 3-1-1 overall and 2-0-1 in SOL Liberty play, while Upper Dublin are 3-0-1 and 2-0-1.
Upper Dublin’s Nick Fiore takes a corner kick against Abington on Wednesday 7 September 2022. (Ed Morlock/MediaNews Group)
Both teams created chances throughout the 100 minutes but were unable to turn them into goals.
The Ghosts won three corners in the first half and had six shots on goal. A golden scoring opportunity came early in the game when Dublin turned the ball over in their own half, but Cardinals keeper Gabriel Copley made the save.
Abington’s best chance came less than two minutes into the first extra time. O’Donnell took a free kick from the right side just outside the box. His right-footed shot swerved toward goal and hit the top right corner where the crossbar hit the post.
“I thought maybe (coming in),” O’Donnell said. “Once I took my foot off it felt pretty good. It didn’t feel good to see it not coming in.”
The Ghosts scored a total of 1 goal in extra time, but Copley stopped it. He made 10 saves in the game, with two consecutive saves from close range late in the second half.
“We definitely had a lot of chances,” said O’Donnell. “We just couldn’t finish.”
“It was a big thing to get the ball in the air,” Fiore credited the defensive shutout for Upper Dublin. you still have to do it. ”

Abington’s Liam Hartman (left) and Upper Dublin’s Gabriel Copley (Ed Morlock/MediaNews Group) meet with referees before extra time in a match on Wednesday, September 7, 2022.
Upper Dublin had a total of nine shots on target. In regulation he has 5 and in overtime he has 4. Abington goalkeeper Kevin Kretschmann stopped them all.
The Cardinals had many chances to put together some great passes to get into the attacking third, but turned the ball over before they could even attempt to shoot.
“We’ve had problems shooting the last two years,” Fiore said. “We had too many chances to go 0-0 in the box. Too many.”
“I’m glad they didn’t score, but I thought it could have been cleaner.
These SOL Liberty rivals both finished in the top 10 in the Division 1-4A Power Rankings on Wednesday and will meet again in Abington on October 13th.
Abington 0, Upper Dublin 0
Abington 0 0 0 0 – 0
Upper Dublin 0 0 0 0 – 0
Saves: AB: Kevin Kretschmann 9. UD: Gabriel Copley 10.
Corners: AB: 6. UD: 2.

Comments
Post a Comment