Main menu

Pages

About Mo Willems Drawing at the Dinner Table and His New Pigeon Book

featured image

If you’ve been to the children’s section of a classroom, library, or bookstore over the last 20 years, you’ve met author and illustrator Mo Willems. If you have children of your own, chances are you read or read his books to those children nightly for quite some years. , “Books for Children and Ex-Children”), and his characters, from Elephant and Piggy to Knucklebunny and Pigeon, have become some of the most beloved of generations. his latest book, A pigeon rides a roller coaster!out Sept. 6, delivering all the laughs and pigeon-like wisecrack you’d expect from a prolific author.

As you can imagine, the people who have written or illustrated so many books (and have worked on musical adaptations, theatrical productions, apps, animated series, and specials based on those books) are almost I am always creating. Even dinner doesn’t seem to be a reason to stop painting.

“For 12, 13, 14 years, we’ve consistently had butcher’s block paper on the dining room table and crayons on everyone,” says Willems. They used to do this every night when his son, Trix, was little. “We were drawing, we were doodled, we were talking about how we were feeling through our drawings and what we were drawing about. around it thing. ”

Willems’ wife of 25 years, potter Cheryl “Cher” Camp, usually paints abstract designs and ideas on ceramics. Her Trix, who is currently in college, now prefers photorealistic illustration, portraiture, and landscape painting. In one of these dinnertime art his sessions, Willems sketched what would become an elephant (aka Gerald) from his Elephant and Piggy series.

I eat hegel slag. This is basically bread sprinkled with chocolate and buttered. Kids would be jealous and basically want to eat this chocolate sandwich, but they called it a bird poop sandwich.

Willems describes these artistic family dinners and dinners, as well as the long-distance family cooking lessons he gave his son, his favorite meals from his travels around the world, and why the food is such excellent food. I spoke to Zoom’s Romper about whether it would be a read.

Jamie Kenney: I would like to ask you about the foods you ate as a child. What was the food culture like back then?

Mo Willems: I am the son of a Dutch immigrant so I ate Dutch food. As a child, I was often teased, especially for sandwiches. I eat hegel slag. This is basically bread sprinkled with chocolate and buttered. Kids would be jealous and basically want to eat this chocolate sandwich, but they called it a bird poop sandwich. I love slop!derived from what was often teased about what was considered ethnic food at the time.

There are many foods in your book. i really like slop, duckling gets a cookie

MW: Oh that’s interesting.there is a hot dog [in The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog], should i share the ice cream

that’s not a good ideaone of my personal favorites…

MW: It’s cooking…and intense.

I have a theory as to why I think it continues to work, any thoughts as to why?

MW: No, let’s hear your theory.

Well, all your books are character-driven stories about emotions. Food is a great source of emotions for children and adults alike, but children’s experiences are more limited, so they say, “I want a cookie”…”I don’t like that food.”

Willems started his career as a writer and animator. Sesame streetand won six Emmy Awards. His latest book, The Pigeon Will Ride The Roller Coaster, is currently on shelves.Union Square & Company

MW: One thing I’ve noticed is that most of the audience eats. that’s what they do. Anyone who has read my book and has dined at some point in the last couple of years can choose.

But yeah, when you’re writing a book for kids or marketed for kids, you don’t really have a lot of cultural modifiers, right? I think food is in some ways fundamental, philosophical and cultural, but in a broader sense.

So we talked about food in your childhood and food in your book. Do you think food plays a broader role in your life now?

MW: I think my wife really likes communicating through food. Over the past 30 years, I’ve become more familiar with food, seeing food as a shared experience and as a cultural experience, and experimenting with it. I’m a chopper and such. But when we went out to eat, of course more often than now, my wife was somehow reverse-engineering her meal. It’s a big part of my daily life.

I never eat alone and am always discussing what my next meal will be, how it will be made, where it comes from, etc.

how is the food rear Pandemic?

MW: My son was in college and at his apartment when the pandemic hit. What we did every Sunday was his wife and I were here and his son was in New York and we cooked the same meal at the same time. It smells the same as cooking this meal at the same time. I also knew when the conversation ended. You didn’t have to be an annoying parent, or “Did you do your homework?” It was a really great experience. I was really looking forward to it. Over the course of weeks and months, we went from actually teaching him about cooking to teaching us as he brought his love for certain dishes, especially Korean food. It was a great way to overcome the isolation of

Was this Trix’s first real cooking education, or did you cook with him when he was a kid?

MW: We cooked a little with him. yes. But I think it’s really the first time for me to say, “Let’s go out and buy some food.” you understand what it is. what do you have in your fridge? all right. we make a plan “I really want to learn how to do X, Y, Z,” he became more serious about it. Then build a meal around it. good. It was a great experience. I really, really enjoyed it.

Sometimes there are people you didn’t think were artistically inclined and their paintings would be remarkable. We always recycle all paper. It’s all about the process. But it made the meal much longer and I didn’t need the screen anymore.

I heard you hosted a lot of dinner parties in the “previous days”. can you talk about them?

MW: we always [brought out the butcher block paper to draw on] whenever you have guests. It would be interesting to have consistent guests. [their drawings] changed. My father-in-law, who was a businessman, wasn’t too interested in doing that and started doing spreadsheets. Then they began to bend and become abstracted. Then he wanted to go to a museum and see how the colors matched.

Tony DiTerlizzi, Scott Fischer, Eric Carle, and all the neighbors who are great artists, have all produced wonderful works of art. I have. We always recycle all paper. It’s all about the process. But it made the meal much longer and I didn’t need the screen anymore.

The only person who really feared it was, interestingly enough, a man named John G. Morris.he was a photo editor lifeReleased the first D-Day photos.he was a photo editor new york times On the cover is a picture of a girl from Agent Orange. What was amazing about it was seeing someone who was well into his 90s at that point still asking some basic questions about fear and growing up and art.

You and Cher lived in Paris for a year, but from what I read you were very well traveled from a very young age.

MW: Hmm. When I was 15, my father and I walked all over France.

Any thoughts on how travel has affected your taste buds, or favorite meals you remember from abroad?

MW: Oh yes, I have my favorite foods. Most of them are about companies I’ve maintained. Four or five years ago we did a festival in Padua. It was a big Italian literature festival and there was a cooking school in town. All the authors gathered at this huge big table and all the culinary students kept us fed all the way.

oh my god. It sounds like a dream.

MW: It was a really great experience. I remember being in Inner Mongolia. They didn’t let us in the hotel for some reason. It was me, a Japanese guy, a Swiss guy who I’m still friends with, and a Swiss gal. It was a really… good meal. In all dishes, I have never eaten as well as in Korea. I have probably eaten there the best French, the best Italian, the best Japanese, Chinese, Korean, high/low, street food, fancy. It’s just an amazing food culture.

You’ve talked about eating as a communal activity, but let’s say you’re home alone. what would you make for yourself?

MW: completely alone?

completely by myself.

MW: completely alone?

lonely.

MW: I will call my local eatery. Or go to a local eatery. I love eating alone in restaurants.

What is it that appeals to you?

MW: You can draw wherever you have paper. If not, read the book. Most of my work is looking at people, so it’s a good time to do that. And you don’t have to wash the dishes.

Comments