Main menu

Pages

Changing Cardinal Culture | Daily News

In March 2022, Ball State found a new field hockey coach, and she’s making an early impact.

Kaitlyn Walsh entered the season with the intention of changing the culture.

“When I got here in the spring, everything was there. I met this team and saw their work ethic, their grit, their drive and desire to improve,” said Walsh. “It just describes me as a player and my philosophy as a coach.”

Walsh explained that Ball State reflects her own principles and standards.

“I was raised that way, blue-collar. We work hard and work for each other. We do simple things and do them well,” says Walsh. “Our culture is just that: working hard for each other on and off the field and never giving up on the mentality.”

This is Walsh’s first season as head coach, but not his first as a Division 1 field hockey coach.

Walsh spent three years at Old Dominion University (ODU) as a midfield starter and defenseman, helping the team to three NCAA Tournament appearances. She said she knew then that her time in field hockey was not over.

She was first hired as an assistant coach at Davidson College before spending the past three seasons as an assistant at Kent State University. Golden While she was coaching the Flash, Kent State University won her MAC Championship at Mid-American in her conference, where she went 34-18, 20-5, and twice.

“Towards the end of my ODU career, I knew I wasn’t ready to give up field hockey,” Walsh said. , was ready to lead his own program.”

Senior midfielder Libby Krause and junior midfielder Emma Hilton said they knew Walsh would be a good fit from the start.

Klaus and Hilton were in the process of interviewing Walsh, and both felt Walsh met the values ​​of the team.

“We both thought it was her [Walsh] It also fits our values,” Krause said. “It’s solidified since we got to know her. She feels she was the best choice we could have made.”

On Friday, August 26, the Cardinals played their first game, but it was more important than the first game of the season. It was Walsh’s first career victory as a head coach.

“I kind of knew what to expect, but of course when you’re sitting in that seat, oh, wow, this is it,” Walsh said.

She explained that as a coach, I can do everything I can for my players, but I am not the one who plays.

“You can do your job and prepare the team, but at the end of the day, they’re the ones going there,” Walsh said. but they took responsibility at that point and they did it [Aug. 26]. It was amazing. “


Ball State field hockey head coach Cailtin Walsh will coach his team from the sidelines in the Sept. 3 game against Lehigh at the Briner Sports Complex. Amber Peetz, DN

Walsh said some leaders stood out from others when he first arrived to assess the teams. Three seniors and one junior were selected for the leadership team.

“[The team’s] A leader emerged naturally,” said Walsh. “It’s so much easier for me when leaders buy in and want the same goals that you do for your program. So I’m really lucky to have a great group of leaders who want to compete.” .”

Klaus described the vibe Walsh creates from her team and the willingness she instills in them.

“In our team, I [we] Everyone wants to achieve the same goals as her. She’s very open with us,” Krause said. “She’s very motivating. She just says, ‘I’m ready, I know what to do. She’s out there and let’s do it.’

Hilton said the change in culture and environment from last season to this season is clear and beneficial.

“We’ve become more team-oriented and feel like we’re playing for each other,” Hilton said. “We’re working towards the same thing, not the individual that felt like last year.”

Looking to the near future, Walsh believes his team is already where it needs to be, and MAC’s other programs should be on the lookout.

“I think we can make some noise this fall,” Walsh said. “You saw us win [Aug. 26]but there’s more than that.

Contact Derran Cobb with your comments at derran.cobb@bsu.edu or Twitter. @Delan_Cobb


Comments