Main menu

Pages

"Teleholic" essayist Elissa bassist's new memoir Hysterical explores screen culture through a feminist lens

Elissa The bassist is not an actor, but she has acted on television. “I’m a teleholic,” the essayist, humor writer and editor of The Rumpus’ “Funny Women” column tells her EW. “And I grew up being sprayed on my retinas by the male gaze — women on screen who fell in love reluctantly, were easily gagged, suffered head injuries, wore pants, and were completely undressed.” I don’t speak in formal sentences— [so] I will be the woman created in that image. I didn’t know until I went backstage as a background actor and saw sexism live. ”

Below, the bassist of the memoir debut work, hystericalat the September 13th Stand with Roxanne Gay, Cheryl Strayed, transparent Creator Joey Soloway — The dangers of screen culture and the dangers of screen culture through the lens of modern feminism 30 rock Putting her on the same side of the screen, “I clung, identified, projected, and later imitated, whether intentionally or not.”

Read our exclusive excerpt.

HYSTERICAL by Elissa Bassist

Hachette

Must-See Dead Girl TV

How Sapp feels about love, I felt about TV. Will Joey Potter/Felicity Porter lose her virginity to Dawson or Pacey/Ben or Noel? It was more important to me growing up than being my virgin or thinking of television as a mass medium for educational socialization and co-hypnosis.

Joan Didion famously admitted that she didn’t want to be a writer. “I wanted to be an actress.

I was as fame-hungry as the millennials and wanted to be an actress as well.

first appeared in 30 rock, season 7, episode 8, “My Whole Life Is Thunder,” Liz Lemon, played by show creator Tina Fey, was honored in the media as one of the “80 Under 80” and I was “Usher ” played. When they walked in, I handed Lemon and her plus-one, Jenna Maloney, an event program. Then I stood in the back of the ballroom the whole time. In the deleted scene, Jenna ran out of the room after a change in lighting revealed that she was getting older, so I improvised and threw the program in the air out of her way. The 15 hours of filming were perfect. No notes, no lines, but $115 and he earned two meals.

Next appeared in 2012’s “Metamodern Movie” comedystarring male actor Tim Heidecker. Tim and Eric Male actor Eric Wareheim co-starring with Tim and EricI played the ‘hipster girl’ and was in the movie party scene wearing my own clothes. There, the characters and the stars who played them raged on alcohol and party drugs.

Experiences like the set were the exact opposite. (The TV set was in Queens, inside the Schmaltzy Events Arena, which looked like a disco inside the Chandelier Museum from the perspective of Sears’ Portrait Studio. It was a party ). comedya male director told hipster girls and hipster boys to dance without the music (added in post-production) and appear to be talking. Speak, listen with mime, understand with mime,” they swayed and shook their bodies to the music in their heads, laughed at each other’s non-verbal jokes with fake laughter, and spoke only body language. We were told.

TV shows were created by women, directed by women, co-written by women, starred by women, and movies were directed by men, co-written by three men, and starred by so many men. The latter is normal. Women make up less than one-third of all creators, directors, writers, executive producers, editors and cinematographers in television, film and digital programming, yet many shows employ no women at all. Is not … Of the top 250 highest-grossing films in the last 24 years, women made up less than a quarter of directors, screenwriters, producers, executive producers, editors and cinematographers. And while the underrepresented group of people make up her 42.2% of the US population, she was virtually non-existent as a creator, director, writer, and executive.

Since cave art, men have been the primary legislators of narrative, guardians of meaning, and doers of what we see and hear. Because of the male perspective, and because I used male language, most of what I understood about myself, my body, my history, my future came from a male mind, and my senses were disempowered. I got

Elissa bassist author photo

Elissa bassist author photo

Mindy Tucker

Man created, directed, and edited woman in the image of his ideal woman. Every day he turned on the TV to warm up and watch men become heroes and women become heroes. depended on men.

Women had some dead-end roles. Ingenue, objects that look smaller than they really are, sex dolls with heartbeats and fake mouths, wives and mothers (women perform the miracle of birth half a dozen times and are excellent at femininity). Whatever her role, the woman acted as a fan-sized mirror that reflected her twice the man’s actual size (woman is also a paraphrase of Virginia Woolf).

Women only had one conversation if or when they were talking: “Male, male, male, male, male, male, male? (Male male male male male male.) Male—”

Judging by the screen, white women make up less than 33% of the U.S. population, and there appeared to be about five black women, women of color, and LGBTQIA+ people on the planet.

The ubiquitous white man was running the world and sporting women.

Unlike men, a woman objectified herself because her appearance was her main concern and purpose on earth.

If the woman on screen weren’t a spouse or sidepiece who forgot her personality while aspiring to be a man’s soul, her single woman days would be meaningless, especially on national holidays. (If she didn’t, she was lying.

In any heroine’s resume, her special skills were: Passive, helpless, ornamental, graceful, receptive, affected by extreme emotions out of control. “Housework” filled the “previous experience”, because the heroine had a slave to her mind, and she could not handle more than conversations, brooms, babies, and every desire of a man.

As seen on TV and on set comedy, There are types in the male gaze and ears. Women ranged from giddy to secretly beautiful, lean to skinny, white to tan. The woman remained a girl, and she sinned by growing up. A woman scores her 8 out of 10 or higher, and a woman who scores less than 8 should drown. And she froze because women weren’t allowed to wear pants.

Even in my rotation of female-led, female-centric, female-centric shows, heroines have been given voices, lives, and low-cut tank tops by men who have never heard a woman think. No matter how strong or leading they were, they were hot, small, youthful, feminine, next to naked, and bad women closely resembled men in women’s bodies.

I took the screen as truth. was supposed to. I have a cultivated theory that the more time we spend/wasting our ‘life’ in the world of television and screens, the more television explores, shapes, and stretches our thoughts, making life/art, corn syrup/blood, her/ I become so nice to us and lose them.

I saw myself in characters I clung to, identified with, projected, and later imitated whether intentionally or not. And because men invent and immortalize certain stories, they force us to their version of how things go, and the narrowest and macabre interpretations and imitations emerge. When you’re watching, you look up at the screen and then down. not a templeEven though I was absent-minded, my ego worked and I could see two things at the same time: the scenery in front of me and myself in it. As if I was there and an angel kissing Buffy landed on my tongue. Or rather, I want to be Buffy, the vampire killer whose virginity is stolen by a monstrous man. Or as if scanning Buffy’s body to scan the parts where I was imperfect: upper arms, belly, thighs, calves, ankles. Cellulite, stretch marks, pale skin, acne — in this way he believed he could know himself by how he compared and judged himself. It has a serrated edge. My screen surrogate was sexy and flawless, a street sheet and a female freak. Because a girl who grows up having her retinas sprayed by the male gaze becomes a woman created in that image.

excerpt from Hysterics: A Memoir by Elissa bassist. Copyright © 2022. Available from Hachette Books, an imprint of Hachette Book Group, Inc.

Relevant content:

Comments