Main menu

Pages

Members of the Kremlin Home Culture are working to promote the Garfield County Fair.local news

featured image

Enid, Oklahoma — The Garfield County Fair is underway, entries are being brought in, and stakeholders are gearing up for a variety of contests and activities.

As attendance at the fair has declined in recent years, members of the Kremlin Home Culture Group are striving to promote the fair in order to increase the number of participants and entries.

Joyce Fales, who has been with the Kremlin Home Culture for 15 years, has been teaching at the Kremlin for 35 years, and said she went there to get the kids to create something to promote this year’s fair.

“I went to the Kremlin and did an art project in every class. What’s a good way to get kids entry Then mom and dad have to come Grandma and grandpa have to come Auntie and uncle have to come …because the kids can say, ‘I’ve entered the fair, come and see’.”

Fares said the goal is to build a better fair and this year will be the first year school children will be entering the fair.

For several years, she said, she had been thinking about how to create more works, and each grade at the Kremlin worked on a different art project.

“Maybe in the last five years, the fair has slowly declined to the point where it’s not really a fair,” says Fales. “So I wanted to make it a better fair.

“I sent a message to each child to let their parents know the project was involved. It will be a thing.”

Beverly Buller, a member of the Kremlin Home Culture since 1992, was busy Wednesday setting up a display promoting reading and sewing. She said she has been working with children’s literacy for years.

“I used to be a literacy chairman, and I can’t get away from reading,” Buller said. “I think children still need to read, and so do adults. I think they still need books.”

She wanted to do an exhibit that showed what sewing could do and show that anyone could do it if they put in the time. By getting children involved, she said, they can learn valuable skills.

She said children can learn something by looking at such displays and can learn to do anything by participating. and says being creative is her favorite part of participating.

“Just create,” Blur said. “I like to create and show people what they can do.”

Fares said there were 60 home culture groups long ago. Now he’s down to five or six. She said more entries for children means more people can attend the fair.

“Look at this mountain,” said Fares, pointing to a pile of art projects. “If all the kids had their moms and dads coming, that would be a lot of people going through. We’re working hard on promotions and working on ideas for next year.”

The Garfield County Fair, held at the Garfield County Fairgrounds at 111 W. Perdue, is open to the public Thursday through Saturday from 9am to 8pm.

There will be a Chocolate Dessert Contest on Thursday at 6pm, a Pig, Sheep and Goat Judging on Friday at 8am, and a Pie Baking Contest on Friday at 10am. There is a heifer and steer judging at 8am on Saturday, a horse show at 9am on Saturday and a ‘Best of Wheat’ baking contest at 1pm on Saturday. The Premium Show Sale takes place on Mondays.

.

Comments