KEYSTONE, South Dakota—A gentle breeze blew over the Grand View Terrace at Mount Rushmore National Memorial, sending shivers down my spine.
For millions of Americans like me who are visiting for the first time, this is a sacred place, freedom and sacrifice carved into the eternal mountain.
“I feel the tingle,” said Doug Alford of Texas, proudly waxing on the observation deck 150 feet below the monument.
“I am inspired by what people used to do. [monument] As impressive as the skyscrapers they built in the 20s. “
As we continued to stare at the tall sculpture and marvel at the extraordinary talent and engineering that went into building it, Alford lamented that the country he once knew is no longer the same.
Today people seem ready to start wars over culture and politics. We watch the spirit of great America fade into the ether of history across the ever-widening divisions of the nation.
America’s heyday—”Those days are gone,” said Alford.
But Mount Rushmore remains.

An estimated 2,500 people visited Mount Rushmore on the eve of the 21st anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks by Islamic extremists to see four great American presidents – George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln – visit the granite. I saw it engraved on
Larger-than-life figures soar above the green spiers of ponderosa pines and arid, rocky landscapes where hawks and eagles fly.
Alford’s wife, Cindy, said, “That’s amazing.” “I’ve seen it on TV, but it’s cool to see it live!”
The creator of Mount Rushmore, sculptor Gutson Borglum envisioned a lasting monument that will stand the test of time.
He declared: Then pray that these records will last until only the wind and rain wear them down. “
monumental project
Work on the monument took 14 years, from 1927 to 1941. The project cost him about $1 million to complete in the 1990s and $56 million in renovations. About 400 workers were needed to build the monument, and from the mountain he blasted 450,000 tons of rock.
Borglum chose four presidents to honor Mount Rushmore, which played a pivotal role in American history.
George Washington, the first President of the United States, ordered the Continental Army to defeat the British Empire and win American freedom.
The third president, Thomas Jefferson, was the primary author of the Declaration of Independence, which exemplified the Enlightenment ideal of human suffrage.
Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president, promoted the construction of the Panama Canal to connect the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. He fought massive monopolies and secured millions of acres of protected land through the National Park System.

The 16th president, Abraham Lincoln, led the nation and kept the union going through the bloodiest period in American history, the Civil War.
Patriotism for Hope and Freedom
Out of curiosity and patriotism, nearly 3 million people visit Mount Rushmore each year (about 2,000 each day). Many see the monument as an anchor of hope and freedom in a world falling into tyranny.
The Alfors said they drove from Texas to the Black Hills of South Dakota and saw Mount Rushmore for inspiration.
It was a long journey.

Citing Borglum’s artistic vision, Doug Alford told the Epoch Times: “This is when people cared about the country.
“I remember how proud this country used to be. Now there is no national pride and everything is destroyed.”
During the 2020 summer riots, following the death of George Floyd, supporters of the new Cancel culture defaced and toppled statues of Americans they deemed “racist.”
Cancel culture soon began to focus on the statues of America’s founding fathers, claiming they too were symbols of slavery and overthrowing them.
leftist iconoclasm
Amid the social upheaval, Mount Rushmore was also the subject of calls for its removal. The annual fireworks display has not been held since his 2009 due to environmental concerns.
Jim Denker and his wife Kate said they came from New Jersey to see Mount Rushmore for the first time.
“Restore the glory of the United States. It’s very special and spectacular,” said Jim Denker.
“People respected that back then.
The couple admits they “missed a lot in America” while working. Because “America’s glory is what it’s all about,” Jim Denker told Epoch’s Times.

“It’s been a dream to come here. I’ve been a flight attendant for 30 years and never got here,” said Kate Denker. “I didn’t get here until today. I’m in a few months and he’ll be 70. I’ve been around the world, but I’m not here. Shame on me.”
Alan Patrick and Karen Patrick of Washington said they have been regular visitors to the memorial since 1999.
I get goosebumps every time I see it.
“It’s very impressive and beautiful,” said Alan Patrick. “I think it’s a great time to see it. I don’t want to see it go down.”
“I’ve always wanted to see you”
“It’s someone’s work of art. It’s history,” said Karen Patrick.
“I just breathe it all in,” said a man in Louisiana. “It’s huge. It’s unbelievable that they built it, how they built it.”
Jeff Dorman, a first-time visitor from Kansas, said he couldn’t help but feel patriotic when he saw the four presidents cast in granite.
“It makes you think about history and what the United States is going through. I’ve always wanted to see it. That was one of the main things.”
His wife, Denise, said Mount Rushmore is on her “to do list.”

“It’s pretty amazing,” she said of Mount Rushmore.
“It’s love for your country,” she told The Epoch Times. “There are too many old people running our country right now. We need new blood, young blood.”
Maine’s first visitor, Peter Libby, set up a digital camera and tripod along the flag line to capture the best shots of Mount Rushmore in the fading sun.
“They were true pioneers, and now all four are here,” Libby told the Epoch Times.
.


Comments
Post a Comment