The Denver Broncos pledged a $165 million bond to Russell Wilson, believing him to be the big-time quarterback the franchise needed to return to the AFC’s elite.
Wilson will get that opportunity in his first regular season game.
The NFL made the Broncos’ Week 1 trip to Seattle a primetime affair against his former team on “Monday Night Football.”
Wilson spent his first 10 seasons in Seattle, leading the franchise to its only Super Bowl title. His first NFL game as a non-member of the Seahawks will soon be back at Lumenfield.
“It’s obviously the first game and it’s a Monday night so it’s a big game,” Broncos head coach Nathaniel Hackett said on Tuesday. It’s a fact.
“I think he always says that pressure is a privilege. That’s what you want. I’m excited to see him there.
Wilson was acquired in a blockbuster deal in March, and the Broncos sold two first-round picks, three additional draft picks and three veterans.
He signed a seven-year contract with Denver last week, reportedly agreeing a five-year extension worth $245 million.
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said it was “great” for the NFL schedule makers to bring Wilson back to Seattle for Week 1. A Tyler Lockett said his former teammate hoped to receive something warm at the reception Monday night.
“At the end of the day, you have to be able to distinguish between guys and players, you have to understand that everyone is trying to do the best for themselves and all you can do is hope they win and cheer for you. “For them to win,” Rocket told reporters. “That’s how I really feel. I think Seattle should be rooting for him for everything he’s done. Bring the Super Bowl to this community, bring different kinds of stuff.”
“He is a wonderful man.”
The Seahawks have cycled through multiple offensive coordinators during Wilson’s tenure, but he faces new challenges learning Hackett’s offense while adjusting to his new team. Monday night represents the first true litmus test for how that process works.
Denver is the consensus 6.5 point favorite in the final game of Week 1.
Of Wilson’s progress within the system, Hackett said, “I think for us it was all about trust, communication and understanding what we wanted on each play.” As a coordinator, I think all of our coaches have to give reasons at every play as to what we’re trying to attack and why we’re trying to attack it that way.
“I think he understands it more as he saw how we presented it. I think we have… what we’re trying to achieve.”
Comments
Post a Comment