
Monday’s question about cornmeal on the dance floor was first answered by Napoleonville’s Tony Falterman.
“The reason cornmeal was sprinkled on the dance floor was to make it easier for the dancers to slide. Most dance halls in Pierre Peart and other Assumption Parish communities used cornmeal I vividly remember that some people used baby talcum to increase their slippage.”
Broussard’s Rick Michot explains: It was religiously sprinkled on the floor before each dance at Prejean’s Restaurant.The man who provided the bottle is now 95 and still dancing!”
Lafayette’s Larry Greenblatt added: “
Zachary’s Michael DeFelice says there’s even a song called “Cornmeal Waltz” by the great songwriter Guy Clark.
Princess visit?
Carolyn Treuting seeks confirmation of memories shaken by the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
“I am 78 years old and many years ago I attended the Edward T. Hines School in the Lakeview neighborhood of New Orleans.
“If I recall, I was in third grade when the pre-Queen Princess Elizabeth visited our school.
“Hynes was a brand new school, thought to be cutting edge and cutting edge.
“All the students lined the roadway and shook hands with the children in the front row as the princess passed by.
“I wanted to see if her visit was mentioned in our news, so I searched online but could not find any recollection of the event. I called Hynes School and asked if the information was available. I asked if there was one, but got no response.”
Carolyn wonders if anyone else remembers this royal visit.
Useful tips section
Annie Fugler of Denham Springs continues the list of reasons why the paper version is important even after reading my column and other articles.
“On Robin Leake’s use of plastic delivery sleeves for The Advocate’s leftover French bread:
“I recycle mine near where I pick it up. Residents living on busy highways have to deal with the shameful daily litter. I pick up newspapers from my driveway and put them in my sleeves.” Remove and use as gloves to pick up the unavoidable trash in front of your home.
“May I take this opportunity to promote anti-litter classes in kindergarten and primary school curricula? Early education is the way!”
By the way, some other readers advertised that people walking their dogs use plastic sleeves as gloves.
special people department
- Alvin Soileau of Ville Platte will celebrate his 100th birthday on Tuesday, September 13th. He is a WWII veteran.
- Baton Rouge’s Patricia Glass turns 93 on Tuesday, September 13th. She is a resident of Federis Care Home. Her late husband, Bill Glass, was a newsman for the Advocate for many years.
- Baton Rouge’s Emile Mercante will celebrate his 92nd birthday on Tuesday, September 13th.
- Metairie’s Jacob and Eva Rohm will be celebrating their 70th anniversary on Tuesday, September 13th.
blow your horn
Kenner’s Terry Grundmann adds to the topic of long-running debate.
“Reading about cars without horns reminds me of when a petrol station in Metairie was denied an inspection tag because the horn was too loud.
“After the junkyard truck horn was set up, I parked my car halfway into the gas station service bay and the noise echoed loudly.
“When the owner came to check on me, I smiled and said, ‘I fixed the horn.'”
Write a smiley to Smiley@theadvocate.com. He can also be mailed to PO Box 588, Baton Rouge, LA 70821. Smiley Follow his Anders @SmileyAndersAdv on Twitter.
.
Comments
Post a Comment