Main menu

Pages

Some Bears fans and South Loop business owners have mixed feelings about a potential move to Arlington Heights.

The specter of a possible move to Arlington Heights loomed like a storm cloud over Soldier Field as the Bears loyalties gathered ahead of the team’s opening day win on a rainy Sunday. .

The matchup against the San Francisco 49ers will see Bears chairman George McCuskey vow that the team will be “good neighbors” while major development will depend in part on taxpayer money. It came just three days after a pivotal community meeting in the northwestern suburbs that acknowledged the

Hundreds of fans used to be at Reggies Chicago, 2105 S. State St. Reggies owner Robby Glick wants the team to remain status quo.

“I’m from Chicago and I’m a Bears fan,” said season ticket holder Glick. “I don’t want to move them. I want the team to stay in town. I want to see the Bears stay in the Soldier.

“But I’m being selfish. I want to do business, but I don’t want to go to Arlington Heights.”

Reggies was full by 9:40am, with over 400 people in and out of the bar, the standard crowd for a home game. Fans asking for cocktails and his $15 all-you-can-eat buffet at the bar were finally offered free transportation to the stadium aboard an old school bus.

Bears fans can ride the Reggie’s Chicago suburban bus for free to Soldier Field on Sundays.

Glick said he understands why the Bears want to leave, even if it cuts into his gameday business.

They complained that the stadium was one of the smallest in the league. It has a dome that protects the fans from bad weather. The lines for the restrooms and shops are too long. Not enough parking. The train station is too far away.

Kevin Conley stopped by Reggie’s with his brother before heading to Soldier Field. Weather aside, Conley was excited about his first game as a season ticket holder.

But he’s also excited about the prospect of a new stadium with more seats, better facilities and easier access.

“I’m all for it,” said Conley, who lives in the city. “It’s hard to get to stadiums now, they’re old and small. Getting here takes as long as going to a new stadium.”

Other fans were less optimistic.

“I’m not very happy about it,” said South Loop resident Blake Neal. Thanks to Reggies, I can hang out at the bar and then catch the bus straight to the stadium.”

It might be closer for people in the suburbs, but it won’t be as close for people on the South Side, Neil said.

Bears fans will watch the game on Sunday at the Crawls South Loop.  September 11, 2022.

Bears fans watch Sunday’s game at the Crawls South Loop.

Just a few blocks away, at 1736 South Michigan Avenue, on Crawl’s South Loop, Bears fans were also divided.

Hyde Park resident Jeremy Balfe, who stopped by to watch the game, said he all wants a new home field.

“Chicago deserves a bigger, better stadium,” Balfe said. “It’s an outdated stadium for many reasons. We need a dome on bad weather days like today. It would be great if the Soldiers were improved so they could stay here, but I don’t think that’s realistic. increase.”

For bar owner Nicole Steinmetz, moving out of Soldier Field would be devastating for her business. Steinmetz said Kroll’s is sure to be packed before and after Bears games, and the bar is busy with people coming to watch.

“Home games make a big difference for us,” she said. “I can understand why they’re trying to leave, but it’s terrible for local businesses here.”

Chicago Bears fans were hit by heavy rain during the fourth quarter of the team's 19-10 victory over San Francisco on Sunday.

Chicago Bears fans were hit by heavy rain during the fourth quarter of the team’s 19-10 victory over San Francisco on Sunday. Among some fan complaints about Soldier Field? No roof.

Comments