
You’re walking through a sneaker convention and you hear someone say, “2 vs. 5.” [hundred] here”, or “4-50 deadstock”, “got a monopoly here from the latest drop”.
Does that jargon sound familiar? No?
For many enthusiasts who perceive themselves as sneakerheads, this is the everyday jargon that binds them together as a community. Many people attended this year’s New York Got Sole Convention. This is he one of the largest sneaker conventions in the country. Held August 27-28 at the Meadowlands Exposition Center in Secaucus, New Jersey.
“I love coming here,” said tournament vendor Alfred Sumjmer. “I brought my son here to learn more about reselling sneakers. I got it,” said Alfred.
Thousands of like-minded people descended on Secaucus this year. “I go to auto shows and conventions like this all the time because I get the chance to see what normal people are buying,” said vendor Omar Brown.
Sneaker culture is a lifestyle. Therefore, over the last 60 years, major apparel brands have evolved from creating shoes with a focus on athletic performance to designing footwear for fashion. All-time great athletes, including Michael Jordan, popularized Nike’s signature sneaker globally and made their fortunes in the process. At the start of his NBA season last year, 22 players had their own signature shoe.
But now, entertainers, especially Kanye West, are also making big bucks in the industry, who partnered with Adidas to establish the Yeezy brand, which includes sneakers and increasingly trendy slides.
Countless people remember buying their favorite sneakers when they were young and saving money to buy the sneakers they really wanted. These are memories shared by sneaker enthusiasts and famous athletes who work every day, including former NFL All-Pro Antonio Brown who attended the New York Got His Sole.
“I love the energy here. Thousands of people are here to show their love for sneakers and fashion,” said the 2020 season’s Super Bowl-winning Tampa Bay Buccaneers, now a freelancer. said Brown, 34, who is an agent.
“You can have a good experience with anyone. There are veteran sneakerheads of the season and people who have just bought their first sneaker,” Brown observed. “I still remember the first pair of sneakers I bought, the Forces. [Air-Force Ones] in fifth grade. “
Some sneakerheads are loyal to a particular brand. Others buy shoes because their favorite NBA or NFL players are wearing them. Many are engineers. Just like a seasoned mechanic knows exactly what’s under the hood of a car, an experienced sneakerhead knows how to tell the difference between genuine shoes and counterfeit shoes.
“You’ll never catch me for a fake,” Brown said with a laugh.
Bots, short for robots, computer programs that simulate human activity, have changed the way sneakers are bought and sold. Complex’s Senior Vice President of Content Strategy, Joe LA Puma, said:
Whatever the future holds for sneaker culture, the Got Sole convention showed that its essence is still strong and should be directed toward the foreseeable future.
Comments
Post a Comment