For the first time since the 1950s, ideologically motivated censorship is becoming a widespread crisis in the United States. On the left, such repression is either informal “cancellations” by online mobs or carried out by universities and private companies. On the right, state censorship is enforced by law and includes civil and, increasingly, criminal penalties.
Most ironically, one of the most obvious signs that a censorship explosion is about to be unleashed is the loud and angry complaints about the lack of free speech, especially the accusations of “culture cancellation.” The most passionate and outraged Americans can surely set the clock and count the seconds before their demands for tolerance suddenly turn into the ground of outright intolerance of diverse opinions.
I had an interesting encounter recently. This phenomenon is unfortunately not uncommon. In fact, it’s a classic example of how many Americans have become intolerant of disagreement even though they see themselves as defenders of intellectual freedom.
In early August, I was surprised to be asked to contribute an essay to an obscure online journal on the subject of “Palestinism.” found it to be a Jewish publication that was speciesist and deeply hostile to the Palestinian people, as the proposed subject suggests.
Nevertheless, I agreed to write the essay for free for a number of reasons. I was able to reach an audience that I could never otherwise address and perhaps force some to reconsider their prejudices. Didn’t dispute my insistence on editing only for style, not content. It vehemently opposes “cancelling culture” and seeks to ensure that all left and right wingers, especially moderate centers, have an equal voice.
The public stigma that befalls ordinary and even somewhat arbitrary people who are targeted by liberal outrage online is real and alarming.
I imagine they reached out to me and offered a challenging alternative perspective, matching their supposed ethos of candor and fairness, I proceeded naively. So I contributed his 3,500 words on a mutually agreed-upon topic, and was enthusiastically thanked for “a highly intelligent and well-written work.” However, two hours later, I was surprised when I was informed that I had chosen not to publish your work. Naturally, I asked for an explanation, but there was no reply.
Unfortunately, what happened is no mystery. They found my essay unbearable. He described the non-existent ideology of “Palestinianism” as a crude rhetorical tool that dismisses the reality of the Palestinian people and suggests that their identity is a heinous anti-Semitic conspiracy. In short, an attempt to deny the reality or validity of Israel or Israeli identity.
The moment I come across the accusation of “cancelling culture” on their website, they reach out to me for another perspective that could enrich their publication with diversity. Instead of taking it as a sign that it could be, I should have known it wasn’t under any circumstances. Dissatisfaction with pervasive censorship was the clearest sign that Palestinians were seeking to engage in censorship, rather than pervasive racism against Palestinians.
Censorship in America is certainly pervasive. Florida’s new laws are so restrictive that teachers can face criminal liability for telling their elementary school students about non-traditional families. Entire newspapers and journalism programs were shut down after publishing allegedly controversial articles. Her two district attorneys in Tennessee say they are considering prosecuting and imprisoning the librarian.
These are just a few examples of how right-wing state authorities are increasingly using government and police powers to crack down on history, race, and sexuality education in schools and colleges. As if the British tradition of Christmas pantomimes were a heinous perversion, it is now ludicrously fashionable to denounce the “grooming” of sexual abuse by exposing children to transvestite performers.
Usually these same conservatives wailed for years in exasperation for the Left to “cancel culture.” Unfortunately, liberal oppression is an all too real phenomenon. It doesn’t involve threats of handcuffs or solitary confinement, but it certainly does involve unfair dismissal and harassment in some parts of the university and media.
The public shaming that befalls ordinary, and even somewhat arbitrary, people who become targets of liberal outrage online is real and alarming.
In the UK, if someone comes out in public as a political activist or agitator, they should expect a loud backlash and promiscuous discourse. I’m not a fan of it, but calling it the new Justin Sacco-like phenomenon wouldn’t be true.
— Jon Ronson (@jonronson) August 15, 2020
One of the earliest and most notorious examples of the online violent mob phenomenon occurred in 2013 when a woman named Justin Sacco tweeted that she had only 170 followers. I hope you don’t get AIDS. just kidding. I am white! “It was terrifyingly insensitive and easily interpreted as racist, but the online backlash almost completely destroyed her life, snowballing it into a horribly disproportionate rejection.” As journalist Max Fisher explains in his rare new book, many examples of this dynamic show that social media is designed to fuel dangerous levels of public outrage. increase. chaos machine.
In many cases, celebrities subject to “cancellation culture” eventually volunteer to actually be cancelled. When George Washington University professor Jessica Krug was exposed for pretending to be black her entire career when she was actually white and Jewish, she said: I am writing. But she added, “What does that mean? I don’t know.” Ultimately, she resigned from her position during her tenure.
More by Hussein Ibisch
But because politicians like former Republican President Donald Trump, or former Virginia Democratic Governor Ralph Northam and Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax, all demonstrate in different ways and to varying degrees. , surviving a very embarrassing accusation is always an option. crime.
As is often assumed, many of the greatest freedoms Americans are accustomed to are not old. Voting rights for all Americans, and therefore full democracy and broad freedom of speech, were both established in his 1960s. Before that, millions of African Americans were denied franchises, and much of the freedom of expression we take for granted today was subject to civil or criminal penalties.
The moment I saw the accusation of “cancelling culture,” I should have known that ideological censorship would never end. But that is the current prevalence of hypocritical censorship in America.
Published: Sep 13, 2022, 4:05 AM
:quality(70)/cloudfront-eu-central-1.images.arcpublishing.com/thenational/I53ECS5VJLDWQXN6WII4TPQDRQ.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment