Main menu

Pages

Boy George threatens to run away from Culture Club's Karma Chameleon

featured image

Boy George has revealed that he threatened to kick out his Culture Club bandmates if they didn’t release Karma Chameleon.

The 61-year-old chart-topping singer had a hugely successful 1980s with Culture Club before embarking on a successful solo career, selling over 150 million records worldwide.

When discussing his time with the band, George confided in fellow I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! Campmates like Mike Tindall, Jill Scott, and even former Health Secretary Matt Hancock (whom George shared the bushtucker exam with and just earned the camp a full set of 11 stars) are included. .

As lead singer of the band Culture Club, Boy George has soared to the top of the charts, voicing hits such as Karma Chameleon, Do You Really Want to Heart Me, and Time (Clock of the Heart).

The band also features Roy Haye on guitar and keyboards, Mikey Craig on bass guitar, and previously included Jon Moss on drums and percussion.

George explains: You’re Jewish, I’m Irish, you’re Jamaican, Roy’s Anglo-Saxon!!”

Strict Embargo - USE NOT BEFORE 6 NOVEMBER 2022 22:45 GMT - EDITORIAL USE ONLY Mandatory Credit: Photo by ITV/REX/Shutterstock (13611098bm) VIP Island Camp Arrival - Boy George

Boy George threatened to dump Karma Chameleon (Photo: ITV/REX/Shutterstock)

About his bandmates, he said: they hated it.

They were saying, ‘This is the last nail in our coffin, it’s garbage.

“I had to say, ‘If you don’t put it on the record, I’m quitting the band.'”

George added: Literally, I was the Queen “Stormouter”. Every time things didn’t go my way, I was like, “I’m leaving!”

Boy George and Culture Club

The band enjoyed great success in the 1980s (Photo: Rick Kern/WireImage)

Released in 1983, Karma Chameleon became the second single to reach the top of the UK Singles Chart, and held that position for an impressive six weeks before becoming the best-selling single of the year.

He added that although the band took several breaks during their time, they never had many fights or “separate limousine rides.”

Elsewhere, George also told his campmates about his coming out, and when he started dating a boy, no one was surprised.

“First, my mother says, [to my dad]”Look what he’s wearing,” my dad was getting his paper [and drop it down to look] And then saying, “If he wants to be beaten, get out,” and that was you know.

When Charlene White asked: “Was everyone surprised when you were dating a boy?” George replied, “No. My father used to turn off the music when he made announcements in the car.” .

“My brothers were all going to work. He seemed like the radio was down and he said, ‘We need to talk about your brother.’ And all my brothers said, “Turn up the music.”

I’m a celebrity… get me out of here! Continue tomorrow night at 9pm on ITV.

Do you have a story?

If you have a celebrity story, video or photo, email celebtips@metro.co.uk, call 020 3615 2145 or visit our submission page to contact the Metro.co.uk entertainment team Please contact I look forward to hearing from you.

MORE: Strictly Star Molly Rainford Reveals Professional Partner Carlos Gu Banned Her From Dating

MORE: Matt Hancock reveals ‘unconvincing’ pleas for forgiveness on I’m A Celebrity – signs he’s not ‘real’

tv set

Comments