Main menu

Pages

“It improves your game.” Why a unique culture will help the Seahawks win in 2022

featured image

“Organization Based on Relationships”

So what exactly is the culture that Carroll and Schneider have built in Seattle that has led to their lasting success? It starts with how people are treated. More specifically, it starts by focusing on the player’s personality rather than looking at him or her as a cog in football.

“We are a relationship-based organization,” Carroll said. “It’s all based on responding to people and seeing who they are and trying to help them feel really comfortable in our environment. It’s a really individualized assessment. If we care and care for people the way you care for a child, we give them the best chance to be the best they can be. We understand that it will happen.

“It’s relationship-based, but it really understands how valuable it is to genuinely care about people, and make the environment as good as possible so they can be challenged, and expect the best from them.” Come closer and move on, because if you truly love someone, you will do whatever it takes to protect them.

Again, it’s almost impossible to quantify its value, but most people who’ve played a fair amount of time for the Seahawks, led by Carroll and Schneider, know that players are appreciated and cared for. I agree that I tend to give a little more on Sundays if I feel like it. any other day of the week.

Seahawks legend Doug Baldwin said, “I truly believe in Pete and John when they talk about how to navigate relationships in the first place.” The same lessons in sports translate to business, it’s all about teams, teams are made up of humans, these individuals, people with different wants and desires, different quirks and all different Things try to mesh different personalities.But the only way to know how to mesh them and get the best out of people is to build relationships with them.Really, really good job John and Pete doing

“I think what I appreciate about Pete and John is that they always had a positive spirit. I believed… better circumstances would come.”

A few years after an eight-year career that established him as one of the best receivers in franchise history, Baldwin is on a different level of how Schneider and Carroll run the organization than he was. I admit that I have a rating of in the middle of his career.

“It’s just that we have different perspectives, but I’ve always appreciated their positivity and their leadership in relationships,” Baldwin said. And I think it helped create a culture where people enjoyed going to work because they were genuine with each other and enjoyed working with you.”

Of course, the ultimate goal of the NFL is to win, so having a positive culture doesn’t mean anything if it doesn’t lead to results. Although I am new to this program, it is clear that I have benefited from the culture that Carroll and Schneider have created.

“Think of it this way: When you are truly connected to the person next to you, it is an internal motivation, an internal motivation to take you one step further, for that person and the organization. motivation,” Baldwin said. He said. “If it’s a surface level relationship and you don’t have it. You can’t quantify it, but it’s the essence, the feeling, the vibe. When you have, you will, it was not only on the football field, but also off the field building relationships, all of which develop in a positive direction towards success. ”

“The unwavering level of respect that everyone in the building has for each other, trust that,” said receiver Marquise Goodwin, who is entering his first season in Seattle after spending the last nine years with five teams. I don’t think you can. It’s a long way to go… There are so many positive things that allow you to be positive, think positive, be more in yourself, open up and be yourself.

“If you can be who you want to be, if you can be the same person behind closed doors and outside, it will help you become better overall. Obviously, it will improve your game.”

Even players with good reason to hold a grudge against Carol and Schneider will eventually be able to appreciate what these two have built in Seattle. Take Richard Sherman, for example, who was released in a salary cap-related move after the 2017 season while still recovering from an Achilles injury. That’s a player who was released years after playing for that team and suffered a serious injury and still has money on his contract. Spending time on the thru and practicing giving advice to young defensive backs, especially rookie corner Tariq Uhren as Sherman did in 2011 on his path in the NFL at a relatively new position.

“Pete allows for a culture of being yourself and not worrying about anything other than the game,” Sherman said after practice on Friday. Because you’ll be yelled at where you’re sitting in a meeting, or the meeting will be quiet where it’s stressful (Carol and Schneider) Make sure there’s no tension in the building. In all that we do, everyone is optimistic.The coaches teach in a positive way.So the only stress and anxiety you have is, of course, the competition..I work I want to be the best, and that’s a healthy anxiety. But they take the pressure off the outside.

One of the reasons Carroll and Schneider hit it off from day one is that despite working at different levels of football at the time, they came to Seattle with similar philosophies when it came to winning with young talent. Because. As a Green He Bay executive, Schneider defended his one of the youngest teams in the league and was part of his front office known for constantly flipping rosters. As a college head coach, Carroll had no choice but to find a way to win consistently without the benefit of continuity, even at positions like quarterback. When they brought them together, they realized they were not only in agreement about building a winning team, but also about how they wanted to treat people.

“Pete’s culture is not just about beating people up,” Schneider said. “I try to instill and build confidence in them. When someone who wasn’t around Pete asked me, ‘What was your number one point that you didn’t know before working with him? I think it’s just his ability to instill confidence in people. He has a very positive attitude, but he can instill trust in people really quickly.

Perhaps no player has benefited more from Carroll’s culture of positive support than quarterback Genno Smith, who came to Seattle as a longtime backup, but he will open this season as Seattle’s starter. Throughout Smith’s three seasons as Wilson’s backup, Carroll has spoken about how confident the Seahawks have in Smith and how much they believe in him to get the job done, especially when Wilson has suffered a finger injury. We talked about missing time last season. That confidence showed in Smith throughout training camp and preseason, winning him the starting job.

Of the way Carroll has developed his players, Smith said, “It gave me that extra boost of confidence that I needed.” You can have that confidence. “Clear that and focus on what the coach says. His positive way of speaking gives me confidence. I want to overcome barriers for players like that. Coaches do a great job of that.”

Comments