Main menu

Pages

Jackson Brings Cultural Change to Grambling

featured image

Grambling — Hue Jackson has coached on the biggest stage football can present. He has spent half his life as his NFL coach.

Yet he feels completely at home on the hills of the small town of Grambling.

call it fate call it fate Call me whatever you like. But call it a culture change. “I had good people around me, and it was great,” Jackson said. “I have been really impressed with my staff.

“Before you can win on the field, you have to win off the field. I think our vision aligns right. It has to work, and I think we’re doing it.I think we’re heading in the right direction, so I’m very excited,” he added.

Now Jackson is trying to see if he can win on the field. The field is named after the late, great Eddie Robinson, who is one of the greatest coaches of all time.

All Jackson had to do was revamp the roster of teams that were 4-7 and 3-5 in SWAC.

The first position Jackson adjusted is quarterback. Former Tiger Devante Kincade was brought in to become GSU’s quarterback coach. Along with the new coach, Jackson brought five new faces to compete for his first job.

“It was an adjustment with these quarterbacks,” Kincade said. “I wanted to come here and show what I knew from playing here at Grambling State to playing in the XFL. We wanted to get these quarterbacks acclimated to the system our staff wanted to use. Our expectations for this season are putting a lot of points on the board.”

Chance Amy, Julian Calves, Amani Gilmore, Quaterius Hawkins and Kajiya Hollawayne are vying for jobs at fall camp as the season approaches.

At running back, GSU ​​has brought back Keilon Elder, Jaylen Joseph, CJ Russell, and a group of newcomers from the transfer portal to show off their roster.

“We’re talking about everyone being a star in their role,” said running back coach Chris Peters. is needed.”

Wide-receiver coach John Simon, who is also offensive coordinator, is backed by returning Claude Coleman, Kash Foley, Antonio Jones, Donald Johnson III, Jeff Perry, Lyndon Rush, Trey Truitt and Greg White. , and eight newcomers can also arrive in town to compete during playtime.

“We are working hard and getting a lot of young people who are still learning what we do. Not just what we do, but how we do it. ” Said Simon, who played for Louisiana Tech during his college days. “We try to install energy and effort with our members, along with that method, so we can learn a lot for them. We push them pretty hard.”

Shun Marcus Adams, Terrence Bell Jr., Chris Chernak Jr., Dalton Hoag Jr., Steven Myers and Tyler Thomas are among the veteran units returning to the GSU offensive line.

Robert Valdez, who won the state championship at St. James High School, was brought in to run the offensive line room.

“The offensive linemen are working hard and trying to get 1% better every day,” Valdez said. “We have a good group of players and every practice gives us the opportunity to see different scenarios that will help us during the season. It’s here. They’re playing in pain, heat, and a fast-paced schedule.”

Defensively, the Tigers have a little more experience returning to campus heading into the fall. It starts with All-SWAC defensive end Sundial Anderson, perhaps the most decorated GMan of the preseason.

A year ago, he had a team-leading five sacks and 7.5 tackles while losing 42 yards. He also forced his three fumbles, a team-high, and two quarterbacks his hurleys and he committed one pass his breakup.

Also returning are Javon Carter, Wesley Greene, Jaden Hardy, Lane Lewis, Cameron Richardson, Simea Roberts and Jaron Sheffield. “I hope I can impact the game in a positive way to contribute to a winning season,” said defensive line coach Ken Delgado. I think we have a pretty good group. I’m back in State. Returning are Joshua Reed, Blake Thomas, Brian Powell and Louis Matthews.

In the secondary, Xavier Lodge, Rayondas Estes and Quincy Mitchell are back.

GSU has a new slate, according to Jackson. What the team did the year before him doesn’t matter in his book.

To focus on the team’s chemistry and block out distractions, Jackson kicked off fall camp by closing practices to the media.

He hopes the G-Men will be mentally locked in 2022.

“It doesn’t matter what they did last year,” Jackson said. “It’s what they’ve been doing since this season. So what we’re trying to do is make sure all players understand that they have to earn the right to wear the ‘G’. Not just given. They did well wearing it so I know some people will come here but can we do it again this year at an even higher level? Thing. ”

Comments