What inspired you to join the NFL Diversity in Sports Medicine Pipeline Initiative?
I just got an email from Howard University saying they are partnering with the NFL for a once-in-a-lifetime orthopedic rotation. Is there a better way to study orthopedics than football? So I applied and they said I was accepted into the program. I was very excited to find out I was on the New York Giants because I am affiliated with a surgical hospital. I also learned that I would be working with giants in the field, Dr. Scott Rodeo and Dr. Samuel Taylor. It’s great to be able to work with them.
The fact that the Giants are having a great season this year is a bonus. I don’t follow football all the time, so I had to do some research before starting my rotation.
What did you do or learn during your month-long rotation?
Mike Baum, the Giants’ assistant athletic trainer, set up an incredible rotation schedule. Some days were split between Quest Diagnostics Training Center and Hospital for Special Surgery. Every day was different and touched a lot. My favorite day was Monday. I went to the training center around 7am and went to the injury clinic. I was with Dr. Rodeo, Dr. Taylor, Chief Athletic his trainer Ronnie Barnes, trainers and players. That was the time when I learned the most. Then, in the afternoon, I went to the hospital to observe the operation.
I was at the training center on Tuesdays and Thursdays for practice. It’s normal for people to see injuries in competition, but it’s during practice that you’ll find out why. Watching players drill and practice, why there are so many elbow injuries on the defensive line, it may be because they often do the same movement when blocking.
I also went to three games, including the Giants-Jacksonville game. Traveling with the team was a great experience.
That is wonderful. What is the biggest point of rotation?
It really takes a team to give these athletes the best possible care to keep them healthy and out on the field. There are so many things at stake and players put so much pressure on them I feel A regular sports medicine rotation might tell the patient to relax for a few weeks and slowly return to normal. They came back every day to do their treatments, which isn’t always fun, but they are very determined. Usually doctors refer their patients to physical therapy, but it was really cool to see all the steps in recovery and how important each step was. So the aspect of rehabilitation was also a big point.
Looking back, are there any surprises?
I was amazed at how welcoming everyone was. It was really refreshing. Orthopedics is a very male-dominated field, and the NFL is no different, with all-male players. But they wanted me to be there and asked questions about school and housing. Building relationships with doctors, trainers, players and head coach Brian Dabor was easy. He was very kind and made me feel welcome.
What is your favorite moment?
it has to be a game. The intensity is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced and it’s hard to describe. Being with the team you can feel their complete focus and so are the trainers and staff. We have one goal: to win and keep everyone healthy. But I think my favorite moment was the Giants vs. Texans game. They were banging their fists on me when they came out of the field. It felt great to be part of the team.
Comments
Post a Comment