Main menu

Pages

Sports Culture as a Place of Literacy Learning: An Interview with Luke Rodesailer Teachers College Press

Luke Rodesailer He is an Associate Professor of Education and Chair of the Department of Teacher Education at Purdue University, Fort Wayne. His work has been published through various academic institutions including: English education, Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, Teaching English: Practice and CriticismWhen english journalHe is also the author of a new book titled Bringing Sports Culture into the English Classroom: An Interest-Driven Approach to Literacy Instructionis published this month by Teachers College Press.

Isabelle Nunez He is Professor of Educational Research and Dean of the School of Education at Purdue University Fort Wayne. She has her Ph.D. She holds a PhD in Curriculum Studies from the University of Illinois at Chicago. M. Phil. She holds a BA in Cultural Studies from the University of Birmingham. JD of UCLA Law. She has three of her books published by her Teachers College Press (Hope and Joy in Education: Engaging with Daisaku Ikeda Beyond Curriculum and Context, Why it’s worth noting: Why educational policy is every teacher’s concernWhen Dive In: Bill Ayers and the Art of Teaching Contradiction).her work Curriculum Inquiry, Pedagogy, Journal of Curriculum TheorizingWhen teachers college recordsShe currently serves as Vice President for Curriculum Research, Division B, of the American Association for Educational Research.


Isabelle Nunez: What role has sports culture played in the different stages of your own literacy journey?

Luke Rodesailer: Sports culture played a central role in my literacy development, but usually far beyond the walls of the classroom.

In the house where I grew up, reading was a common leisure activity and the sports pages were the most cherished of all the daily texts. paper and local papers), I had fresh content and multiple perspectives to consider each day. Not surprisingly, reading these papers was also great fuel for developing literacy practices related to speaking and listening, as it prompted discussion of columnist opinions and predictions for upcoming games. But it wasn’t just the printed text that contributed to my improved literacy. My personal interest in sports positioned me to create my own stories as well. It spawned all kinds of stories when I was playing with. Hulk Hogan was champion for most of his ’80s, but I preferred players like Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat. Playing with those toys made me a booker, creating original stories in my head and running those stories for hours. Then, as he got older, his participation in organized sports as a teenager inspired him to practice reading and writing, including writing performance goals for himself and the teams he played for. So the sports culture, even if it didn’t make much of a difference in the classroom, has steadily contributed to my literacy over time.

of: Are you still learning with or from sports-related texts to better understand the world and communicate more effectively?

LR: Oh, absolutely. A few titles that have helped in that regard immediately come to mind.Julie DiCaro Sidelines: Sports, Culture and Being an American Woman is 1. Reading that book gave me an insight into an experience different from what I personally know, and a better understanding of sports culture (and the wider world).the other one is pride, a memoir written by Ibtihaj Muhammad, who was the first Muslim American to wear the hijab and competed for the United States Olympic team. The story sheds light on the unnecessary barriers (racism, xenophobia, etc.) that can stifle the dreams of anyone, athlete or not. And it’s not just non-fiction that’s so beneficial. Reading sports-related fiction works in a similar fashion. For example, I have spent a lot of time as part of a recent collaboration with Mark Lewis. pass playbooka novel by Isaac Fitzsimmons, and another boy, a novel by MG Hennessy. Both books feature transgender youth athletes as protagonists. At a time when anti-LGBTQ+ legislators are aggressively excluding transgender youth from inter-school sports, these books are simply trying to live their own lives and pursue their interests in sports, criticizing transphobia. It makes it easier to empathize with children who realize they have to fight bullying and restrictive policies. That’s why I would like you to take a look at these two titles.

of: How did you come to recognize the potential of sports-related texts to engage young people in English arts classes?

LR: We have to thank the people we worked with as we navigated our early teacher education program in the early 2000s. I have been fortunate to learn from teacher educators like Leslie David Burns and Jolie Blass. ‘Reading Won’t Fix Your Chevrolet’: Literacy in Young Men’s Lives Scholarships to Michael W. Smith and Jeffrey D. Wilhelm, and Ernest Morrell and Jeffrey M. Duncan-Andrade made it possible to see the potential of bringing popular cultural texts into the classroom. Later, as a practicing high school English teacher, I was able to apply these ideas by supplementing the units with content tailored to the student’s interest in sports. So reading that research and scholarship as a future teacher gave me the foundation to build my own classroom practice. There, I saw firsthand the value of leveraging students’ knowledge, interests and experiences in sports culture. Now I am trying to help other teachers realize their own potential.

of: what impact do you expect Bringing sports culture to the English classroom Will it affect the reader in different contexts?

LR: When I was incorporating sports-related texts into ELA middle school classrooms, I had no idea that a separate sports literature class like the four presented in this book would be an option. Therefore, I hope this book will help future teachers and curriculum coordinators to do what I have not been able to do and understand what they are capable of while supporting literacy teaching and learning. I hope it helps inspire them to imagine and create unconventional courses that appeal to the students they serve. Perhaps that means creating courses that focus on graphic novels and film studies. Do you know? I also hope that this book will inspire teachers who may not be able to teach a course in sports literature, but would like to create a place for sports-related texts in their curriculum. The book introduces four secondary sports literature classes, but also includes ideas for adapting the activities for more traditional English arts classes.

of: If you could pick just one idea from your book for a high school English teacher to use in the classroom, which would it be?

LR: If I had to impose one thought, I would say the popular notion that sports culture can provide a solid springboard for students to critically explore contemporary socio-political issues. That work can take many forms, as described in the book. Sometimes, through reading the entire class text, we explore how football coaches challenge Jeffrey Marx’s traditional ideology of masculinity. season of life Or question John Grisham’s idolatry bleachersIt can also be done through student-led research and research, such as examining the exploitation of college athletes or critically analyzing the marginalization of women in popular sports media. Regardless of the form of the work, sports culture provides a valuable frame of reference as students venture into the murky waters to consider issues of power, privilege and marginalization that are relevant far beyond the wider world of sport. and it is appropriate to delve into this sort of issue. Because students are people who live in this world just like you and me, and as such, their lives are already affected by them.


Photo credit: Pixabay

Comments